Fast Food cravings can strike at any time. Thankfully, these low carb copycat Taco Bell burritos will satisfy the craving without breaking the diet.
Some of the links on this page are affiliate links of which I'll earn a small commission from the seller's profit if you purchase, but at no additional cost to you. I appreciate your support!
Before you look at the recipe....
Don't be intimidated by the length! It's really super easy with common ingredients.
Why Grilled Stuffed Burritos?
Three reasons - 1. I just updated Taco Bell's review and it brought back memories of hard I went for the Grilled Stuffed Beef Burrito back in high school. (I would order it with double meat and add nacho cheese...O.M.G) 2. Only 4 burritos made the list in the Taco Bell review but they were still pretty high in carbs. 3. I wanted to use my new CrispLid again so I made it happen.
Using corn tortillas instead of 100% whole wheat tortillas will cut out some carbs, just make sure they're the taco size so you're not overloading the carbs. Any other low carb tortilla you like will work too.
By the way, the reason these had to be mini burritos is because it's hard to find 100% whole wheat or corn burrito size tortillas, and that just adds extra carbs anyway.
You can put these in the oven at 450° if you don't have an air fryer, but the bottoms will not crisp. To get both sides crispy, use a roasting rack or place the burritos directly on the oven rack and place a baking sheet on the rack below to catch any drippings.
Don't feel like making the Avocado Dressing? No problem!
These are tasty replacements to find in-store or buy online; they just won't be as healthy.
Hidden Valley Southwest Chiptole is my favorite. I love to put it on quesadillas.
Newman's Own Southwest Ranch (also LOVE their basil spaghetti sauce)
Primal Kitchen Cilantro Lime Dressing (at health food stores, Amazon or ThriveMarket.com
Complete the Meal
Add a side salad or Greek yogurt parfait.
You can go ahead a wrap all of the burritos now and store the ones you won't eat now. Then, when you want one, you can air fry it on the spot.
But if you don't want to make all of the burritos, the meat mixture can be used for tacos, taco salad or burrito bowls.
Store in the refrigerator in a closed container for up to 4 days.
Check out the super yummy Jumbo Veggie Enchiladas.
Healthy Avocado Dressing Recipe with Greek Yogurt
- 1 each Avocado (large)
- ½ cup Low-fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- ¾ cup Cilantro (loosely packed)
- 2 teaspoons Lime Juice
- 1 tablespoon Water
- ⅛ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 small Poblano Pepper (optional (SEE NOTES))
- Small pinch Salt (optional)
- Remove the avocado shell and seed and place the avocado in the blender.
- Add all other ingredients except the salt and blend well.Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time for a thinner consistency, or lime juice if you don't mind it being tangier.
- Add a small pinch of salt if desired.
If you make the Avocado Dressing just for the grilled stuffed burritos, you only need to make half of the recipe to get ½ cup.
Taco Bell Copycat Grilled Stuffed Burritos Recipe
- ½ each Small Yellow Onion
- 1 each Red Bell Pepper
- 1 each Green Bell Pepper
- 1 each Yellow Bell Pepper
- Cooking Spray
- 1 lb 93% Lean Ground Beef
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 10 oz can Rotel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chiles (optional)
- 8 each Taco Size 100% Whole Wheat or Corn Tortillas
- ½ cup Avocado Dressing
- optional Shredded Lettuce, Avocado, Sour Cream, Cilantro
- Rinse the bell peppers.Heat a large skillet on low heat.Cut the bell peppers and onion into ¼-inch slices.
- Increase the temperature to medium.Coat the cooking surface with cooking spray or oil and add the peppers and onions. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, or covered for 7 minutes.
- Push the veggies to one side and add the beef.Sprinkle each seasoning over the beef.
- Meanwhile, drain the tomatoes.When the beef is cooked, add the tomatoes.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of sauce, then ½ cup of beef mixture into the middle of each tortilla.Add extra fillings (shredded lettuce, pico or salsa, etc.)If adding many fillings, reduce beef mixture to ⅓ cup so everything fits when rolled. Or, save the toppings for garnishes.
- To roll, fold the sides in first and continue to hold them down while using your thumbs to fold over the side closest to you. Tightly grip the filling with the tortilla and roll until completely enclosed. It's a very intuitive process.
- Place the burrito seam side down in the air fryer basket.Repeat with remaining burritos.
- Fry at 450° for 4 to 5 minutes.Roll the second batch (if necessary) while the first batch fries.Garnish as desired.
Leave a comment or rating to let me know what you think!