Break away from the traditional pot roast for easy Cuban flavors in this macro-balanced, low carb meal. This Ropa Vieja recipe also has extra suggestions for carb options since gestational diabetes can be tricky.
Some of the links on this page are affiliate links of which I’ll earn a small commission from the seller’s profit if you purchase, but at no additional cost to you. I appreciate your support!
Why Ropa Vieja?
Pot roast is an American dinner staple and for good reason: it’s easy, inexpensive, versatile and delicious! Well the Cuban version is called Ropa Vieja and boy is it yummy!
It’s a good break from the traditional flavors we associate with pot roast.
No Pressure Cooker – No pressure!
If you don’t have an Instapot, no worries! You can cook this meal in a slow cooker on low heat for 6 to 8 hours, or on the stove stop for about 3 hours. On the stove top you’ll have to bring it to a boil on high heat first, then reduce it to a simmer on low heat and cover.
Right now, this 6qt InstaPot is a great deal! Click the picture to see it on Amazon.
You can nix the rice and add 8 cups of sliced carrots (12g carbs per serving). Each complete meal will then be about 44g carbs. Or add 4 cups of golden potatoes (12g carbs per serving). Each complete meal will then be about 46g carbs.
Carrots or potatoes are great options to get in extra vitamins and minerals!
Another option is to try 1 or 2 slices of 100% whole wheat bread, or any bread that works for you. This meal with two slices of 100% whole wheat bread, without rice, is about 44g carbs – one slice of bread is about 37g carbs.
Cilantro and/or avocado are optional. The avocado is more for texture and mouth feel than for flavor.
Use the leftovers to make a sandwich with low fat mayonnaise for lunch. This was my FAVORITE as a kid. Add a slice of tomato with salt and pepper and O.M.G!
I love that option because it takes care of lunch for a couple of days. And leftovers ALWAYS taste better if you ask me.
Or make burritos! Spoon the leftovers into corn, 100% whole wheat, or any low carb tortilla that works for you. Wrap them individually or place them in a casserole dish and pour enchilada sauce or salsa on top, top with cheese and broil on high until the cheese gets gooey!
Corn tortillas are better in terms of carb count, and salsa is better than enchilada sauce because it has less salt.
Store in the refrigerator in a closed container for up to 6 days.
This meal has over 30% of your daily Vitamins B3 and B6 and zinc requirements – B6 and zinc are common deficiencies in pregnancy.
It also has over 20% of your daily choline requirement, needed for brain development and memory.
This information was obtained from Real Food for Pregnancy.
If you want more complete meal ideas and/or a meal plan, check out my book!
Leave a comment or rating to let me know what you think!
- 1 each Small Yellow Onion
- 1 each Red Bell Pepper
- 1 each Cauliflower Head
- 2 pounds Chuck Beef Roast
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ¾ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ¾ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ? cups Uncooked Brown Rice optional
- 1 15 oz can Diced Tomatoes, no salt added
- Cilantro optional
- Avocado optional
- 4-8 slices 100% Whole Wheat Bread or preferred bread optional
- Rinse & slice the onion and bell pepper into ½-inch thick slices. Place in the pressure cooker.
- Cut the leaves and bulky, tough stems from the cauliflower and throw away. Rinse the remaining head of florets. Set aside.
- Season both sides of the roast with oregano, paprika, garlic and ½ teaspoon of the salt.
- Place the roast in the pressure cooker.Pour in the rice & can of tomatoes.Place the cauliflower on top of the roast. Select the “Meat/Stew” setting.
- When done, open the pressure cooker and taste the broth. If desired, add up to ¼ teaspoon of salt to the broth. Omit the salt if the can of tomatoes doesn't specify "No Salt Added."
- Scoop out the cauliflower into a large bowl. Break it apart and place 8 equal portions into the serving bowls.Portion the meat in the same way, then the remaining contents and broth.
- Garnish as desired.*