What Can I Eat With Gestational Diabetes Fast Food Series – McDonald’s
Can I eat McDonald’s on the gestational diabetes diet? Yes; here’s how to eat McDonald’s with gestational diabetes.
This is the first in an on-going series to highlight acceptable foods in popular chain restaurants. Mothers with Gestational Diabetes are warned against fast food, adding to the stress of meal planning, but knowing what’s acceptable on-the-go can give Mama a little rest. Being that every mother’s diet is different, only items under 30g of carbs will be listed. I stress that items listed are not recommendations, but meet the 30g standard for this purpose.
Because of its popularity, the first restaurant is McDonald’s. This nutrition information is taken from the McDonald’s website. Follow the links to view additional information.
- One Hashbrown has 16g of carbs, which is within allowance for many moms. Just be sure to get other necessary nutrients in like protein and fiber.
- The Sausage Burrito has 26g of carbs, 12g of protein and 16g of fat.
- The Fruit & Yogurt Parfait has 30g carbs but only 4g protein, and considering that it’s not filling, you’d be better off choosing something else. Or, make it work by eating other no/low-carb foods with it! See Gestational Diabetes Diet for ideas.
- All four choices of McMuffins have high fat and high protein and no more than 30g carbs.
What to Avoid
- Hotcake meals
- Big Breakfast
- Bagel & Biscuit sandwiches
- The 4-piece Buttermilk Crispy Tenders has 25g of carbs and 39g of protein.
- Chicken McNuggets (10-piece) have 26g of carbs and 24g of protein.
- All salads come in under 30g of carbs except the Southwest BUTTERMILK CRISPY Chicken Salad: grilled chicken is ok.
- Without the buns, all burgers reduce to less than 10g of carbs! Chicken sandwiches are a different story. Their carb count varies vastly so please check the McDonald’s nutrition calculator before ordering.
- Honorable mentions are the Bacon McDouble, Hamburger and Cheeseburger with less than 35g of carbs, bun included.
- A small fry comes in right under at 29g of carbs.
- An order of apple slices has 4g.
- The Kiddie Cone and Yoplait Go-Gurt have 8g each.
- One Oatmeal Raisin Cookie has 22g and one Chocolate Chip Cookie has 23g.
- French Vanilla Cappuccino hits right at 30g.
- The plain Cappuccino, Latte, Americano and Coffee all come in under 10g, whether hot or cold.
- Honest Kids Appley Ever After juice is only 8g.