Different from the main stream tomato soup, this tomato soup is savory, tangy and slightly sweet - paired with grilled cheese for a satisfying meal.
Why Tangy Tomato Soup?
April/May showers keep us in the mood for comfort foods and tomato soup with grilled cheese fits right in.
Gestational Diabetes Diet
Tomato soups often have an unnecessary amount of sugar in them which makes them dangerous for this diet because there's no protein to balance the carbs.
The sugar in this recipe is low and can be substituted if necessary. This tomato soup also has basil which adds sweetness without spiking carbs.
The protein comes mainly from the cheddar cheese, so if you nix the sandwich make sure you get protein from somewhere else.
The nutrition facts below include a full sandwich with two pieces of 100% whole wheat bread. If you want to reduce the carbs you can cut the sandwich in half and take away about 15 carbs.
A serving of this soup with string cheese would be a good snack!
1 - If your canned tomato sauce is salted, make sure you taste the soup before adding more salt because this recipe uses no added salt tomato sauce.
2 - You can double the heavy cream to make it creamier.
3 - Add 1.5 Tbsps more sugar if it's too savory for you, or swap the sugar for Truvia and follow the conversion chart on the container.
4 - You don't have to blend this soup if you don't mind the small chunks of vegetables. The high power blender just smooths it out nicely.
The standout nutrients in this meal are the bump of Vitamin D and Omega-6's.
Fun fact - the only nutrient that you don't get mainly from what you eat is Vitamin D. The majority of your Vitamin D comes from the sun.
The information above is found in Lily Nichols' book Real Food for Pregnancy.
In the Notes section of the recipe you'll see the nutrient macros for the soup and grilled cheese by themselves.
Tangy Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter (substitute any oil)
- ¼ cup Celery, chopped
- ¼ cup Yellow Onion, chopped
- ¼ cup Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 2 each Garlic Cloves, quartered
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 cup Tomato Sauce, unsalted
- 3 Tbsps Heavy Whipping Cream
- ¼ t Salt (omit if using salted butter or salted tomato sauce)
- ¼ t Black Pepper
- 1½ t Fresh Basil, lightly chopped (approx 3 large leaves)
- ¾ t Sour Cream
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 2 slices 100% Whole Wheat Bread (or low glycemic preference)
- ¼ cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Chop and measure the veggies. Lightly chop the basil and set aside.
- Heat the pot on medium heat. When hot, add the butter, garlic, onion, celery, bell pepper and sugar. Saute for 10 mins, until they're all soft. Stir occasionally.
- Add the tomato sauce, heavy cream, salt and pepper and stir. Taste to see if you want more salt. Let it heat through for about 5 mins. Stir occasionally and reduce the heat if it begins to boil or pop.
- While it's heating, start on the grilled cheese.
- Add the basil and transfer to a high power blender. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and swirl in the sour cream, but do not mix it completely.
- Heat the skillet on medium heat. Rub one side of each slice of bread thoroughly with butter.
- When the skillet is hot, place one slice of bread in the skillet, butter side down.
- Immediately layer the shredded cheese on top of the bread and place the other slice of bread on top, butter side up.
- Grill for 2-4 mins, until well toasted. Use the spatula to press down the sides and seal in the cheese.
- Flip and grill 2-3 mins until well toasted. Continue to press down the sides.