Fool-proof, 3-ingredient deviled eggs that are sweet, savory, creamy, tangy and delicious.
Some of the links on this page are affiliate links of which I'll earn a small commission at no additional cost to you should you choose to purchase.
Why Southern Deviled Eggs?
Is it just me or are eggs a LOT easier to eat when they're deviled? These are a good way to sneak in major nutrients from a tasty superfood!
Also, Easter is coming up and for some reason eggs are popular around this time. 🙂
Normally with holidays hosts are overwhelmed with preparing for guests and cooking. Well these deviled eggs are a great appetizer to appease the crowd while you concentrate on other things. And the best part is.....just 3 ingredients! I know, right!
Gestational Diabetes Diet
Eggs are zero carbs but great protein and fat so these are golden for the diet. You can pop these babies all day long.
The two tablespoons of sandwich spread, two teaspoons of pickle juice and 12 egg yolks are really the perfect portions, to my liking. If you add more of the spread or juice, do a little at a time because the mixture can easily become runny.
Eggs are one of the most powerful superfoods, but you have to eat the whole egg!
They're high in choline, DHA, folate and Vitamin A which means that baby is getting help with brain and nervous system development and much more. In fact, consuming eggs will likely give baby a higher IQ.
The information above is found in Lily Nichols' book Real Food for Pregnancy. It's an easy read and invaluable to this time in your life and baby's!
Southern Deviled Eggs
- 12 each Eggs
- 2 Tbsps Kraft Sandwich Spread
- 2-4 t Pickle Juice
- Place the eggs in a large pot and cover them with water 1 inch above the highest egg.
- Place the pot on the stove and turn the heat as high as possible. When the water boils rapidly, turn the heat off and let the eggs sit in the hot water 18-20 mins.
- Remove the eggs from the water and let cool if necessary. You can run them under cold water to speed up the cooling.
- Peel the eggs. Peeling under light running water or in a bowl of water makes the process much easier.
- Rinse the peeled eggs to ensure no shell pieces are left.
- Cut the eggs in half lengthwise and gently push the yolks out into a separate bowl.
- Use a fork to mix and mash the yolks with 2 Tbsps of the sandwich spread and 2-4 teaspoons of pickle juice. Two teaspoons of pickle juice will thin the mixture and give a prominent tang.
- Fill the eggs with the mixture and sprinkle with paprika if desired. Paprika is just for appearance. It doesn't add flavor or heat.