Diabetic Fudgy Brownies so satisfying and chocolaty that you only need one, and they’re only 8g carbs a piece!
Why Fudgy Brownies?
I wanted to give you another easy dessert option for the 4th of July.These are an easy addition to the 4th of July menu, and especially great if you’ll be outside because they don’t have to be refrigerated. Check out the first option: Strawberry Shortcake. Plus brownies keep popping up on Instagram lately, and I don’t want to be left out ;), so I made this 8-ingredient fudgy recipe. And at 8 carbs a piece, why not make them dessert tonight?!
Gestational Diabetes Diet
There are some good options available for diabetic brownies; some are flour-less and some include cream cheese. They’re all good options.
Hershey’s Sugar Free Chocolate Chips are likely the brand you’ll find in your grocery store. They are sweetened with Maltitol, which affects blood sugar similarly to sugar. You can find truly sugar free chocolate chips online (Amazon.com). Or use the melting chocolate that comes in bars in the baking section/aisle: 65% chocolate or more.
This recipe calls for agave. Agave has 1/3 the affect of sugar. If you don’t want to use agave, leave out the cocoa powder as well but add 1-2 oz more of the chocolate chips. This will compensate for both the sweetness and chocolate flavor.
Only 8g carbs and 2 of them are fiber!
Wet Mix #1
- 3 oz Sugar Free Chocolate Chips
- 3 Tbsps Coconut Oil or Butter
Wet Mix #2
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsps Amber Agave or preferred sweetener
- 1 t Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsps Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ⅛ t Salt
- 2 Tbsps Flaxseed Meal optional for fiber and structure or use Almond Flour
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
Wet Mix #1
- In a bowl, combine the chocolate chips and oil. Melt in the microwave, checking and stirring every 30 secs until melted.
Wet Mix #2
- Lightly beat the egg, agave and vanilla in a separate bowl, then add to the chocolate mixture and mix until well combined.
- In a clean bowl, mix the cocoa powder, salt and flaxseed until well combined.
- Pour dry mix into the wet mixture. Stir until just combined. (Lumps are OK.)
- Pour into muffin pan and bake 15-20 mins. Muffin liners aren’t necessary. Once these are completely cooled they’ll ‘knife’ out just fine. See Notes for alternative.