A light work, low carb InstantPot Beef Smothered Burritos recipe that's super satisfying and ready in just 10 ingredients and 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Some of the links on this page are affiliate links of which I'll earn a small commission from the seller's profit if you purchase, but at no additional cost to you. I appreciate your support!
Why InstantPot Smothered Burritos?
My mom, being the pot roast queen that she is, made something similar and it was so good that I had to recreate it into a healthier version for you guys.
Reduce the Sodium
If sodium is on your watch, consider swapping the green enchilada sauce for salsa verde. It's about half the sodium.
But if you just don't like green enchilada sauce, red enchilada sauce, salsa verde or jarred salsa will work just a well. Again, the salsas will have less sodium than the enchilada sauces.
Use any low carb tortilla you like or corn tortilla. Using taco size tortillas is important because of the carb count and the proportion of filling to tortilla.
Consider adding more peppers or other veggies to increase the carbs a bit.
Reduce the Fat
To reduce the fat, remove any visible fat from the roast and/or use less cheese.
No Pressure Cooker - No pressure!
If you don't have an Instapot, no worries! You can cook this meal in a slow cooker on low heat for 6 to 8 hours, or on the stove stop for about 3 hours. On the stove top you'll have to bring it to a boil on high heat first, then reduce it to a simmer on low heat and cover. Be sure to check it every so often and add broth or water as needed so it doesn't dry out.
Each serving is already on the high end of fat so be careful with the traditional complimentary toppings like sour cream and/or avocado.
You can garnish with cilantro to be fancy but it's not really needed.
Complete the Meal
Add more low carb veggies in the burrito like bell peppers, zucchini, or yellow squash
If veggies aren't your jam, add ¼ cup cooked brown rice into the filling and each burrito will be 40g carbs. Another option is to add ¼ cup canned black beans to the filling and each burrito will be 39g carbs and 43g of protein.
Black beans are the better option because they're good for iron, folate, magnesium and potassium.
If that's not enough to satisfy you, add a side salad.
There won't be any! These will be devoured!
But check out this post the actual scientific reason as to how eating leftovers is better for your blood sugar: Better Glucose Numbers with Leftovers.
Store in the refrigerator in a closed container for up to 4 days.
Just 1 burrito has 20-30% of your daily Vitamins B3 and B6, iron, selenium and zinc requirements. That's awesome because pregnant women are normally deficient in B6, iron and zinc.
Also, crazy amounts of Vitamin D coming from the cheese.
This information was obtained from Real Food for Pregnancy.
Check out, my favorite, Jumbo Veggie Enchiladas or the recipes below.
Leave a comment or rating to let me know what you think!
InstantPot Smothered Burritos
- ½ each Small Yellow Onion
- 2 each Red Bell Pepper
- 2 pounds Chuck Beef Roast
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ¾ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ¾ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 15 oz can Green Enchilada Sauce (divided)
- 8 each Tortillas (taco size)
- 1½ cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Slice onion and bell pepper in ½-inch thick slices.
- Remove the meat from its packaging and season both sides with the oregano, paprika, garlic and salt.
- Place the roast in the InstantPot. Toss in the peppers and onions.Pour ½ cup of enchilada sauce over the meat.Close and select the “Meat/Stew” setting (an automatic 45 minutes).
- Break the meat apart with a spoon.
- Lay one tortilla in the casserole dish.Scoop a portion of the meat and veggies into the middle of the tortilla. Roll the tortilla away from you into a burrito (open sides are OK).Make sure it's seam side down and push it to the far end of the dish.Repeat with the remaining 7 burritos.
- Pour remaining sauce from InstantPot over the burritos. You may pour the remaining sauce from the can if you like (already included in nutrition count).
- Top the burritos with cheese.
- Place the dish in the middle of the oven and broil on high for 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
You're not adding water to the IP?
The Gestational Diabetic Chef
Hi Rob! No need to add water because the enchilada sauce is the moisture component. Plus, when it cooks, the red peppers and onions release their moisture. The meat will still cook down to fork-tender.