Activity is more important than formal or dedicated exercise.
Some of the links on this page may be affiliate links. I appreciate your support!
How Exercise Helps Gestational Diabetes
Exercise (and drinking water) is the fastest way to bring your blood sugar down when it’s too high.
- lower blood sugar.
- insulin be more effective.
- improve circulation.
When is it best to exercise with gestational diabetes?
Exercising 1 to 2 hours after a meal is best because that’s when a spike is more likely to happen (also why you check blood sugar at that time).
Avoid exercising in the evening so that your blood sugar doesn’t drop too low while you sleep (an extended fasting period).
How To Exercise with Gestational Diabetes
Each pregnancy is different, and each mama is different, so it’s important to talk to your doctor about what activity you can handle.
In general, increase your activity throughout the day. You can do things like:
- walk around the house during TV commercials.
- use half of your lunch period to eat, and the other half to take a walk.
- use the stairs instead of the elevator.
- park further out in the parking lot.
- play with pets or children.
If all you have is 5 minutes, do 5 minutes!