From cheat meals to false positives in gestational diabetes testing, Lily and I cover a ton in this episode.
Some of the links on this page may be affiliate links. I appreciate your support!
Episode 2 – Outdated guidelines in prenatal care
“Lily Nichols” is almost synonymous with “evidence-based research” and “gestational diabetes” because Lily has trail-blazed a movement of questioning the information we’re given, and countering that information with updated research.
Lily is the first dietitian to step out and boldly speak against national nutrition guidelines in gestational diabetic care. She wrote her first book, Real Food for Gestational Diabetes, because of this and it’s gained widespread attention and approval.
We had a fabulous talk about a ton of things concerning gestational diabetes.
What We Talked About
- 2:45 – Lily’s book, career and prenatal nutrition guidelines need to be updated with a new approach
- 9:40 – Is testing for gestational diabetes necessary?
- 12:25 – False positives: there’s no perfect testing method for gestational diabetes
- 14:37 – Better & alternative testing methods & understanding how food affects blood sugar
- 18:19 – Different testing standards across the world and within the United States
- 22:40 – How my gestational diabetes test went & the extreme emotions that accompany diagnosis
- 26:00 – Shifting the approach of prenatal care from fear-based
- 27:55 – Is gestational diabetes more common in pregnancies with multiples?
- 28:54 – Lowering the risk of gestational diabetes; managing blood sugar with micro-nutrients
- 33:30 – How exercise can reduce the risk of gestational diabetes
- 34:35 – Can eating for pregnancy be simplified: unlearning and relearning how to eat
- 40:57 – The importance of blood sugar management in health, not just pregnancy
- 46:58 – Talking to your healthcare team & speaking up for yourself
- 52:40 – Carbs aren’t your only source of energy
- 56:52 – Are cheat meals okay?
- 1:03:56 – Lily’s current work & how we can help affect change in prenatal care
- 1:13:10 – How a gestational diabetes diagnosis affects decisions & outcomes in your pregnancy & delivery
Spread the Word
Click the outside arrow in the upper right hand corner of the player to share.
Leave a Review
Reviews on iTunes are extremely helpful. Please take a moment to rate and review here down at the very bottom of the episode.
— Guide to Get Started with Gestational Diabetes
— Lily’s free video e-course
— 9 Gestational Diabetes Myths
— Lily’s post on why she drank the glucola drink
— Lily failed her glucola gestational diabetes test
Lily’s sites & books
— Gestational diabetes book site – https://realfoodforgd.com/
— Lily’s blog – https://lilynicholsrdn.com/
— Lily’s Instagram
— Real Food for Pregnancy
— Real Food for Gestational Diabetes
Have a question or something to add to the conversation? Leave a comment below!